Volunteer Cooking Buddy
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
The gentleman we support is very chatty and sociable. He enjoys simple and freshly cooked meals but would like some support to develop his confidence and skills in the kitchen. He would also enjoy your company and a chat. You don’t have to be a qualified chef but have an interest in cooking and sharing your skills and experience. If you are qualified or currently studying then this may also provide you with some good experience. If you can spare a couple of hours a week then we’d like to hear from you.
No specific experience is required, however experience with adults with learning disabilities would be desirable
Dimensions provides support for around 3,500 other people with learning disabilities and autism across the UK. We help them to live more independently and access their local communities.
Exact days and times will be agreed with the locality manager.
We would ask the volunteer to commit to attending their role on a regular basis – this could be once a week, every other week, once a month etc. Continuity, stability and routine are vital in supporting adults with learning disabilities and autism.
A DBS check will be required for this role. Two character references will also be required.
Activities will include
• Assisting in selecting and planning meals (we will provide the support to buy ingredients)
• Developing confidence and skills in the kitchen
• Developing prompt cards/recipe cards for practise alone
• Having a chat and some fun
Activities will not include
• Financial assistance.
• Personal care.
We are looking for someone who is:
• Friendly and enthusiastic
• Upbeat personality
• Comfortable chatting with people with learning disabilities and autism
• Willing to commit to volunteer regularly
If you’re interested in the role, then the gentleman we support would like to arrange to meet you so that you can both have an informal chat before making any commitment
We appreciate the generosity of volunteers and wish to support them while volunteering.
You can expect:
• An organisation that values volunteers’ individual differences, interests and strengths, and encourages them to express these
• A welcoming, supportive and positive volunteering atmosphere
• Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Dimensions staff
• A comprehensive and personal induction to volunteering and your role
• Agreed travel and activity expenses reimbursed
• An opportunity to gain real experience in volunteer development and the health and social care sector
• Opportunities to attend professionally delivered volunteer and volunteer management training events, free of charge
We welcome and/or have the resources to support: