1. Young Person Befriender (Bridport - DT6)
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Our Young People Befriending Service offers individual support by trained volunteer befrienders to young people with concerns about their mental health and/or emotional wellbeing. The aim is to improve quality of life, reduce isolation, and increase confidence and self-esteem.
Volunteer befrienders (all of whom are 18+) will have an induction, plus mental health, child protection and safeguarding training.
Volunteers can provide support of approximately one hour a week (or two hours a fortnight) for up to a year. We ask our volunteers to commit to the service for a minimum of one year.
3 Stratfield Saye
20-22 Wellington Road
When volunteers have received training they are 'matched' with young people referred to the service on a one to one basis. Meetings are arranged in convenient public places across the county that are accessible to the young person. Currently we are looking for volunteers from the west of the county, including Dorchester, Blandford, Bridport and Sherborne.
Please contact look at the volunteer page of our website at dorsetmind.uk or call our Bournemouth office on 01202 315329.
This is not a counselling role and does not require any qualifications but does require the following personal skills:
- A friendly supportive and empathic approach
- Excellent active listening skills including sensitivity to non-verbal cues
- A non-judgmental approach and the ability to work with clients who come from diverse backgrounds and are vulnerable or harder to reach
- Understanding of and commitment to working with confidentiality and clear
- Ability to summarise and record key activities, outcomes and monitoring reviews
This role will give you training and experience in working with young people with mental health issues
Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring
We welcome and/or have the resources to support:
18+, people who have experienced mental health issues