Adult Befrienders (Shaftesbury and North Dorset)
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Our Befriending Service offers individual support by trained volunteer befrienders to those with mental health problems. The aim is to improve the quality of life of their clients by helping them to regain confidence and social skills so they can become self-sufficient again.
Trained volunteers provide one-to-one support that promotes social inclusion to clients in the community with a mental health problem for approx 2 hrs a fortnight for 1 year duration. They support and encourage people to access their own community and create social opportunities, to thereby increase their self confidence and social interactions.
Community based meeting places around Shaftesbury and the North Dorset area, covering the DT2, DT9, DT10, DT11,SP7 and SP8 postal areas
Community based meeting places around Weymouth & Portland and West Dorset area, covering the DT2, DT3, DT4, DT5, DT6 and DT7 postal areas
To find out more please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or view our website: https://dorsetmind.uk/get-involved/volunteering-opportunities/
This is not a counselling role and does not require any qualifications but does require the following personal skills:
- A friendly supportive and empathic approach
- Excellent active listening skills including sensitivity to non-verbal cues
- A non-judgmental approach and the ability to work with clients who come from diverse backgrounds and are vulnerable or harder to reach
- Understanding of and commitment to working with confidentiality and clear
- Ability to summarise and record key activities, outcomes and monitoring reviews
No formal qualifications but good people skills are important
This role will give you training and experience in working with adults with mental health issues
Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring
We welcome and/or have the resources to support:
18+, people who have experienced mental health issues