We are looking for a Trustee with HR qualifications or experience to join our Board. All our Trustees have a responsibility to ensure Space Youth Project funds are managed effectively and used efficiently.
Trustees at SPACE youth project need to be aware of or sympathetic to the issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or questioning young people from Dorset, including Poole, Bournemouth and surrounding areas. Trustees will help to guide the direction of the project, assist with fundraising and ensure the project is following policies and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AS A MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
Legal: To see that the Space Youth Project is operating within the constraints of the law and is abiding by its objects and constitution.
Financial: To see that any monies are held in trust for the beneficiaries of the Charity and that all financial matters are properly and effectively managed and to monitor financial performance on a regular basis. Space Youth Project is a Company Limited by Guarantee with a personal liability of £1.
Governance: Including: Participating when appropriate in the appointment of key staff. Identifying the vision, mission, aims and objectives of the Space Youth project and ensuring that its values are reflected in all of its activities. Evaluating the activities of the Space Youth Project. Representing the Space Youth project to its wider family and public.
- To take part in formulating and regularly reviewing the strategic aims of the organisation.
- To participate in the making of decisions and formulation of policies by the Board, to support agreed decisions and policies, and to observe confidentiality in respect of the Board's proceedings.
- With other Trustees, to ensure that all the policies and practices of the organisation are in keeping with its aims.
- With other Trustees to ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
- To contribute personally specific skills and knowledge for the benefit of the Space Youth project.
- Formulating strategic aims
- To play a key role in the Space Youth Project business planning process, in particular in setting and monitoring its vision, mission and objectives.
- To review and approve the Space Youth Project budget as part of the Board's discussions. To review and approve major policies, collectively with the Board.
- Ensuring policies and practices are in keeping with its aims
- As a member of the Board of Trustees or any of its committees, sub-committees or working groups etc., to have regard at all times for the best interests of the organisation as a whole and those for whom it provides or seeks to provide a service, in particular.
- To attend meetings of the Board of Trustees and, as appropriate, of its committees or working groups.
- To represent the Board’s policies and views whenever sitting on a (the Space Youth Project or external) committee, sub-committee or working group.
- To ensure that proper financial controls are instituted and maintained.
- To review the performance of the Chief Executive, in implementing the Board's policies and plans.
Ensuring best practice
To be an active member of the trustee body in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
To monitor the activities of the overall project and encourage the maintenance of best practice standards.
To maintain good relations with the executive team and other staff.
To maintain a watching brief over the statutory and legal obligations to which the Space Youth Project are subjected and offer observations when appropriate.
To ensure that the overall project, its staff and volunteers act at all times in accordance with the statutory provisions, policies and procedures relating to the care and protection of the young gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people that use the organisation.
To take part in training sessions provided for the benefit of trustees.
To fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time by the Trustee body.
Personal skills contribution
To contribute personal skills and experience for the benefit of the Space Youth Project.
To promote the interests of the Space Youth Project and to support its marketing activities.
Lead Trustee Duties
There are currently a number of Lead Trustees, who undertake additional responsibilities on behalf of the Board of Trustees for Care, Central Services, Finance, Sales and Marketing.
This specific role requires the incumbent:
To provide advice, guidance and support for the Executive Team member and their staff within their given area.
To monitor the workings and performance of their given area and to bring their familiarity with it into discussions with other members of the Board of Trustees.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR TRUSTEES
Anyone with the following is not eligible to be a Trustee
Under 18 years old
who has an unspent conviction for an offence involving deception or dishonesty
who is an undischarged bankrupt
who has been removed from trusteeship of a charity by the Court or the Commissioners for misconduct or mismanagement; and
under a disqualification order under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986.
under a disqualification Order under the Criminal Justice and Court Services Act 2000.
disqualified under the Protection of Vulnerable Adults List.