The Dalston Children’s Festival takes place on Saturday 25 May and Saturday 1 of June, it is aimed at children aged up to 11 and their families. From 11am-6pm, residents and visitors will enjoy a spectacular range of cultural events on offer over the two days with something all ages.
Last year there were around 5,000 children people at the event. This year the audience is expected to increase in size.
There are a number of volunteering opportunities during the event. Volunteers must be over 18 and will be paid a £10 Love 2 Shop voucher in expenses. The three opportunities this year are:
Lead Up to the Event
● We would like posters to be put up by 20 May in and around Dalston. We also like volunteers to hand out to local businesses, and concierge at the Dalston Square flats.
● We're also seeking volunteers to help set up site areas, for example getting equipment set up for activities or helping organisers carry equipment such as tables and chairs.
Skills and qualifications required: friendliness, outgoing nature, knowledge of local area, can-do attitude, able to work with others
Event Support Volunteers
● Handing out stickers to children. One per child and keeping a count of how many have been handed out so we can get a rough idea of how many children attend.
● Accompanying people to event sites
● Distributing flyers and maps to visitors
● Running an information tent in Dalston Square
Skills and qualifications required: friendliness, outgoing nature, knowledge of local area, a can-do attitude, able to work with others
● Assisting with feedback and data gathering. Volunteers will help to fill in evaluation surveys with festival goers.
Skills and qualifications required: Comfortable interacting with members of the public, friendly and outgoing nature.
To take part, get in touch with us. There's a short application process which includes:
1. Your initial phone call or email stating interest
2. A 10 minute phone call interview
3. If you are successful, we will then book you into your desired volunteering slot
4. Volunteering at the event
Throughout the year Hackney Council will be organising a number of cultural events across the borough, all of which will require volunteers to help out in some way. If you are interested in volunteering at other cultural events please let us know when you apply and we will add you to our list of Hackney Council cultural volunteers. This list will then be sent an email when any cultural volunteer opportunities arise.