PBHA is a housing association with charitable aims that creates positive change in people’s lives. As well as providing homes and support, we empower people to learn, access work and discover their creative talents. Based mainly in Hackney and Islington, we work with people who are homeless, have mental ill health, learning difficulties and multiple needs. Our work enables people to move on and lead independent lives.
We are committed to mutual support, participation and personal development for all staff, volunteers and service users.
The Telephone Befriending Service has been set up to support members of our community who may be suffering from loneliness and/or isolation.
Duration: 3 hrs/ week, depending on your availability
Times: Weekdays – regular call times to be agreed with service recipient
Aims and Duties of the Role:
As a telephone befriender, you will provide support to clients who need access to the service through a weekly telephone call. Your role will be to:
• Hold 1-1 phone calls each week at an agreed time.
• To provide a listening ear and monitor general wellbeing. This may involve referring to other PBHA services.
• Understand and adhere to guidelines on boundaries and expectations.
• Adhere to organisational policies, including confidentiality and acceptable use of IT.
• Provide regular client updates to the service coordinator. Immediately report concerns or issues.
Please help our administrative processes by making it clear in your application form if you
• have previous experience of working or volunteering in a similar role;
• have an up-to-date DBS certificate;
• have previously volunteered or worked with Peter Bedford Housing Association;
• live, or have lived, in a PBHA property;
• live in Hackney, Islington, or a surrounding borough.
Training will be held online on the 2nd and 9th of September (10am - 1pm).