Class Host Assistant in cookery classes
Made in Hackney
You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Purpose of Volunteer Role
To assist cookery teachers/chefs in ensuring the smooth running of Made in Hackney’s cooking classes and events and that participants enjoy themselves in cooking safely.
• Assist the teacher in preparing the kitchen before participants arrive for a class (eg. ingredients, work stations and equipment).
• Meeting and greeting the participants as they arrive.
• Deliver a health and safety briefing if you feel confident to address the whole class. (optional)
• Ensure that participants enjoy themselves, feels welcome, included and supported and follow the teacher’s instructions for safe cooking.
• Eat together with the participants as part of our community activities.
• Assist the teacher in washing up, cleaning, packing away equipment and tables.
Teaching & Training,Support Work,Catering,Community Work,General and Helping
Admin, Cleaning & Tidying, Managing People, Organising & Planning
• An interest in healthy plant-based cooking
• Friendly interpersonal and customer service skills
• Confidence and empathy to work with diverse community groups and individuals, some with special needs
• Enthusiastic and a positive attitude
• Ability to take initiative and be flexible
• Proactive on-the-spot thinking and problem-solving skills for varied class situations
• Volunteer Induction and Supervision
• Out of pocket expenses reimbursed for each day of volunteering (£7 for meals), plus reasonable travel expenses, with receipt (£15/day total)
• On the Job Training e.g. safeguarding, food safety in catering level 2, plant based nutrition
• Concession rate to attend cookery classes on invitation for active volunteers
• Volunteer Socials to meet other volunteers
• Professional reference provided after a 6-month commitment
Each class is for about 5 hours, including setting up and clearing up.
Class schedules vary, Mondays to Fridays in the day (generally lunch time) or evenings after 4:30 pm, or on weekends on Saturday or Sunday.
Community Feasts and outreach events can range from 3 – 7 hours.
128 Clapton Common Road
Hackney E5 9AA
Getting to Made in Hackney
Nearest Overground Station
Stamford Hill - 13 minute walk to kitchen or take 253 or 254 bus to Clapton Common. Then a 2 minute walk to MIH.
Clapton - 14 minute walk to kitchen or take 253 or 254 bus to Clapton Common. Then a 2 minute walk to MIH.
Hackney Central - Take 253 or 254 bus to Clapton Commons. Then a 2 minute walk to MIH.
Nearest Underground Station
Seven Sisters | Victoria Line - From Seven Sisters Station Underground Station it is a 24 minute walk to MIH or you can use one of the following bus routes:
Take the 349 to Rook Road. It’s a 4 minute walk from here to MIH.
Take the 476 to Stamford Hill Broadway. It’s a 9 minute walk from here to MIH.
Take the 318 to Rookwood Road, It’s a 7 minute walk from here to MIH.
Please register your interest to apply