You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Coram Beanstalk helps children become readers.Reading Helpers provide one-to-one encouragement and support to help children aged 3-11 start reading, keep reading and read more, increasing their confidence and self-esteem and raising attainment and future aspirations.We are looking for volunteers across Hackney.This volunteering opportunity is in term-time only. Volunteers need to be able to give at least two hours, during school time, each week for at least a term (around 10 weeks). For most schools, this will be in the afternoon.All volunteers take part in a couple of online training sessions led by our trainers and support team. Everyone is supported throughout their volunteering by the Coram Beanstalk team.
Youth Work,Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring
Language Skills, Reading & Writing
• No qualifications or experience needed, just enthusiasm for sharing the value and joy of reading
• Willingness to follow the proven Coram Beanstalk model
• Ability to relate to, motivate and encourage children from a diverse range of backgrounds
• Confidence adapting to and operating in a school environment
• Patience, flexibility, creativity, energy and a sense of humour
• Making a life-changing difference to children in need
• Connecting with other like-minded people
• Using your skills in new and creative ways
• Extending your experience of supporting children
• Being part of a school community
• Playing a part in raising reading attainment
At least 1 afternoon a week during school term time
Further location details may be provided below.
Schools across England
School and directions provided after volunteers register their interest in the role
You will be asked to log in or register your details
We welcome volunteers aged 16+ from all communities and backgrounds.
A DBS check is required due to working 1:1 with children, and we cover the cost and coordination of this.
All schools have Covid-safe guidance, which volunteers will be expected to adhere to.
A map is unavailable for this opportunity
You need to commit to a regular volunteering opportunity of around an hour a week. The table below shows the commitment required for each level of the DofE.
Minimum time: 3 or 6 monthsYou must do one of your volunteering, Physical or Skills sections for 6 months, the others for 3.
Minimum time: 6 or 12 monthsIf you heven't achieved your Bronze Award, you must extend your volunteering or the longer of your Physical or Skills sections to 12 months.
Minimum time: 12 or 18 monthsIf you heven't achieved your Silver Award, you must extend your volunteering or the longer of your Physical or Skills sections to 18 months.