The Carers Information & Advice service is part of the ALPS (Advice Link in
Partnership with Sutton) service which is a partnership between Sutton Citizens Advice Bureaux, Age UK Sutton and other organisations including the library service
that aims to provide Suttons residents with a range of expert information and
advice to meet their diverse needs.
You will be part of a team of volunteers and staff within the Carers Information
& Advice service whose role is to ensure that all residents visiting or phoning
the Centre are given the appropriate information and advice, at the level they
need, in accordance with their individual requirements whilst receiving the
highest levels of customer care. Volunteers will provide direct Information & Advice face to face, by telephone or online (for which they will receive training and support) whilst assessing, whether a person is a carer who needs higher levels of support and require referring onto another member of the Sutton Carers team.
Volunteers will be fully trained and supported to provide advice and information
through a staged approach and will only be expected to deliver this to the
level of expertise for which they have been trained.
DBS check required
Location: Sutton Carers Centre
Time Commitment: Once a week, as negotiated
To ensure that all residents’ enquiries to Sutton Carers Centre are
treated with respect and with the highest standards of customer care
and are directed towards the correct person with the level of expertise
to respond to that enquiry.
To assist residents with their enquiries when you have received the level
of training to be able to do so.
To identify if a person’s enquiry is related to their need as a Carer and
If so complete a registration and questionnaire called The Impact of Caring
with that Carer that enables you to identify the next step of advice,
information or support the Carer requires.
To provide information and advice to Carers where appropriate that
ensures that they are made fully aware of their rights to services,
both statutory and voluntary including Welfare Benefits.
To refer Carers to the appropriate partner agencies being mindful of
data protection and confidentiality issues at all times.
To record all details and information and advice provided for monitoring
and evaluation purposes using our online database system Charity Log.
To comply at all times with the policies and procedures of Sutton Carers
Centre as per the Volunteer Handbook.
Desired skills and experience:
• To have excellent customer care skills and be able to communicate with a broad spectrum of people as the first contact for telephone, drop-in or e-mail enquiries.
• To be able to demonstrate empathy and understanding to people who may be suffering from stress and/or distress due to their caring role.
• To be able to provide information and advice to a range of people in an understandable, clear and concise manner irrespective of a person’s age, sex, ethnic origin or religious belief.
• To be able to identify when you are not able to offer the advice and/or information a person needs or that higher levels of support may be required than you can offer yourself and make the necessary arrangements to pass these details on to the appropriate staff member.
• The ability to complete accurate case recording of all contacts with Carers in a clear and understandable format.
• To be able to use photocopier, word processing and other IT applications including being able to use search engines to locate information required.
• To be able to deliver a high quality consistent service even when under pressure.
• To be able to work within the Centre’s Confidentiality, Data Protection and Equal Opportunities Policies.
What we provide:
The chance to be part of a lively, dedicated team who will facilitate your development with support and ongoing training.
A chance to make a real contribution to Sutton Carers Centre’s work with Carers and contribute to the advice and information needs of the residents of Sutton.
Regular supervision and support from the Carers Information and Advice Manager.
Reimbursement for travel expenses.
A programme of training both on and off site to support your development.
References can be provided after 6 months of volunteering.