About Age UK Sutton
Age UK Sutton is an independent, local charity working throughout the London Borough of Sutton to support older people, their families and carers. Our vision is an Age Friendly Sutton, where older people know that they belong, and feel supported and valued.
We offer a range of practical, social and information services and support for people aged 50+ that help them make the most of their later life. As well as providing services, we work to influence wider changes in the community to make Sutton a more age friendly place.
What do Information and Advice Volunteer Adviser do?
The Age UK Sutton Information and Advice service provides information and advice to older people on matters such as welfare benefits, health and social care, housing and local services. Supporting older people to remaining independent and make informed decisions. The service has helped older people in the borough secure over £1.4 million in additional income in 2016/ 17 to pay for essential services for them to remain independent and comfortable in their maturing years. 75% of the people supported by I&A are over the age of 65.
When you volunteer for the Information and Advice service you will be the first point of contact for people contacting the charity, identifying and assisting them with their enquiry and offering support through the process. No two days are the same, enquiries range from travel, community care, family and personal matters, benefits and debts or consumer problems. Volunteers will receive training in a range of subjects as well as providing emotional support to vulnerable people.
Is it for me?
The ideal Information and Advice Volunteer Adviser will be empathetic, a good listener, with a friendly and open manner with the ability to put people at ease.
What will you get out of it?
• It is a direct way to make a difference to someone’s life
• You receive continuous training and development in specialist areas
• You get to support a great cause, while giving something back to your community
• You get to be part of a friendly team
Location: Office based
Role description: Due to the nature of the service the Information and Advice Volunteer Adviser role is varied.
• Offering information and advice
• Face to face support
• Taking telephone queries
• Signposting to external services
Summary of duties:
• Face to face and telephone support for service users
• Explore the nature of the issues raised by the service user and, where appropriate, their wider circumstances
• Present and discuss information and advice with the client in an accessible manner, enabling them to identify a suitable solution
• Provide appropriate information and advice, and offer options to people about services that may be available to them and how to access them
• Where appropriate and at the clients request, act on their behalf, negotiate and represent their interests with third parties
• Support service users with making applications for benefits or services
• Maintain case records using electronic systems
• Develop a working knowledge of the information and office systems supporting the service, use them effectively and contribute to their improvement
• Keep up to date with relevant legislation, policies and procedures, locally and nationally.
• Carry out tasks according to Age UK Sutton policies and standards, in particular on confidentiality, anti-discriminatory policies and health and safety.
• Participate in training sessions and meetings as necessary.
• Due to the nature of the role and the training required, volunteers are asked to commit to the role for a minimum of one year
• A commitment of at least one session each week, shifts are from 9am – 1pm or 1pm to 5pm
• Participate in an induction and training period, then attend ongoing training
• Comply with Age UK Sutton policies on Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety and Confidentiality
• DBS essential
• Expenses covered
• Reporting to the Head of Information and Advice Service