You did not enter a postcode in the search, or the postcode for this role is unknown.
Home-Start volunteers work with local families to increase confidence and independence by:
· offering support, friendship and practical help
· visiting the families in their own homes, where the dignity and identity of each individual can be respected and protected
· reassuring families that difficulties in bringing up children are not unusual
· emphasising the positive aspects of family life
· developing a relationship with the family in which time can be shared and an understanding developed
· encouraging parents' strengths and emotional well-being for the ultimate benefit of their own children
· encouraging families to widen their network of relationships and to use effectively the support and services available in the community
Volunteers are expected to attend an initial course of preparation course and will be required to supply 2 references and undergo a DBS check.
The ongoing commitment is 3-4 hours per week according to the family's needs.
Home-Start Sutton registered office: Alexandra Gardens Children's Resource Centre, Stanley Road, Carshalton, SM5 4LJ
Home-visiting takes place at private addresses within London Borough of Sutton.
Alexandra Gardens Children's Resource Centre is located in a small residential estate on Stanley Road. Home-Start Sutton is at the back of the building with its own entrance.
Volunteers should have parenting experience, a warm, non-judgemental and empathetic nature and the desire, emotional capacity and time to support a family who are struggling.
They must be clear about confidentiality but also be able to decide when disclosure of a confidence is essential to the well-being of a child.
They should be available for a minimum of 2 hours a week, and understand the importance of reliability to our supported families.
Good communication skills, including an ability to listen and understand the need for support, are essential.
Be able to work as a member of a team.
Be prepared to keep records as requested by the scheme.
Accredited Training Course
Regular support and supervision
Support Work,Advice, Information & Support,Befriending, Buddying & Mentoring